Monday, March 3, 2014

My Main Character Did Not 'Just Say No'





That's right, the main character of my novel Rubicon smokes marijuana, at least, she does in the beginning of the story. Yes, this is a book for young adults, and no, I am not supporting teenage drug use. Instead, I wanted to create a character that begins the story a little bruised and broken.

I’m not sure I’ve read a book for teenagers with a protagonist who has done drugs since I read Go Ask Alice in the ‘90’s, so I’m not sure how my book will be received.

Marijuana has been all over the news lately, with more and more states considering medical marijuana and talk of legalizing the drug. I do worry that by the time my kids are teenagers they will find it more difficult to say ‘no’. Studies are showing that roughly 45% of today’s high school seniors are admitting to smoking pot. That’s nearly half and experts are predicting that this number would go up if the drug were legalized.

So, what does this mean for authors and what does this mean for readers? Nothing, unless we want our characters to face realistic issues. My main character does also face some paranormal elements that are not very realistic, but that’s what makes fiction so fun.

I hope my readers will not be too hard on my main character for the choices she makes in the beginning of the book and instead revel in the woman she becomes through her journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment