Thursday, March 13, 2014

Rubicon is Live!!

Rubicon is here! If you like to read about teenage angst mixed with paranormal and a splash of coming of age, Rubicon will be on sale for $0.99 all week at Amazon!

Alright, enough of the sales pitch. Rubicon started out originally as a short story, turned into a feature length screenplay, and now is a novel. What once took place over a period of three days now takes place over an entire school year.

This was the picture for the original cover:


The screenplay was the first thing I ever self-published on Amazon. I sold zero copies and gave away between twenty and thirty. It received a five-star review in jolly old England:

Wow this book was awesome read it in a day so good would read it again ,i will soon. :) - Tamzin Mcowan

I wasn't too hurt about the lack of sales because I don't think I would ever sit down and read a screenplay if I didn't have to.

Originally, the title was Option C. The main character, Brigid James, lives her life knowing that she has the power to end her life at any time. Option C is her third and final option to any difficult situation, it is the option to take her own life.

Here is the original opening from Option C: The Screenplay. It is in screenplay format so it may look a little funny. I decided I no longer wanted any of my high school characters to be armed and there is never any mention of Option C in the novel:


EXT. – SCHOOL PARKING LOT - DAY

BRIGID (V.O.)
You could say I’ve been under a lot of stress lately.

FADE IN:

BRIGID (18) skinny, unconfident, and beautiful, opens her eyes. Her hair is messy, forehead sweaty, and dark circles indicate a lack of sleep. She is breathing heavily.

BRIGID (V.O.)
(Continuing)
But high school is supposed to be rough.

Brigid is standing, holding a gun. She is right in front of a high school building.

BRIGID (V.O.)
(Continuing)
I graduate tomorrow, that is, if I live that long.

People are beginning to come out of the school. A few students peek out. A frightened Mrs. Niceworthy is being held by Mr. ---. Brigid looks in their direction and then in the direction the gun is pointing.

BRIGID (V.O.)
(Continuing)
What would Jesus do? What would Brigid do? I’ve been trying to figure that out for years.

DAN
Brigid! Don’t do it.

BRIGID
(V.O.)
Who is that you ask? He’s just a dead man.

MRS. NICEWORTHY
Brigid?

Mrs. Niceworthy glances over Mr. ---‘s shoulder, giving Brigid a reassuring smile.

BRIGID
(V.O.)
What to do? What to do? A) pull the trigger, B) don’t pull the trigger, C)…Let’s go with option C.

Brigid closes her eyes.

FADE OUT:

(F.X.) Gunshot.

FADE IN:

EXT. SCHOOL PARKING LOT – DAY

“Three Days Earlier”

BRIGID
(V.O.)
I bet you’re wondering how my situation got so complicated. I’ll have to take you back a few days, to the day I met my first boyfriend.


Just thought I would share those tidbits. Happy reading and writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment