Friday, December 27, 2013

Things I Learned While Self-Publishing My Ebook

This is a list of things I learned from self-publishing my first novel. My hope is that this list can become a tool for others out there who are just getting started.

  1. It is good to know how to format your book for Kindle BEFORE you start writing. I am one of those writers who will get lost doing so many other things, that I will take time away from my writing. I have set up some very strict rules in place for myself so that I will actually complete what I start. After I had an ending on my novel, I gave myself permission to begin formatting and I ended up having to undo all of my tabs at the start of my paragraphs. Not fun. I recommend this free book that is very short and simple and gives you simple steps to take BEFORE you begin writing so that your book formats nicely onto Kindle.
  2. There are lots of websites out there with pretty cheap, professional looking pre-made book covers. I like this site and it is never too early to start looking because there are usually new covers daily. If you know how to use photoshop, you can go to sites like fotolia and buy stock images for your cover. 
  3. Goodreads! Yes, I had already heard of goodreads, but I did not know that you can do a search for beta readers. These are people who will read drafts of your book and give you comments, for FREE! This is a great way to get some feedback on your book as you're writing so that you can hopefully prevent a bad review later on.
  4. Starting this blog. I started this blog as I was publishing my first novel. If I had to do it all again, I would have started earlier. It would have been nice to have a bit of a following before I published so that I could build up the release of my novel and then formally post the release. 
  5. Advice. I have read and read and reread advice on how to get people to buy your Ebook. There are two things that every-single-person agrees on and these are; keep writing and don't respond to negative feedback (unless there is repeated negative feedback, possibly indicating a need to change something).
Well, this is my list for now. I'm sure I will have to add to this as I think of things I forgot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment