Wednesday, January 8, 2014

On Football and Writing

I love football season and I'm not a big fan of football. I know, odd, but football is great white noise for me and while my husband is engrossed in a game, I'm engrossed in my writing. That is, of course, until my husband begins cheering or yelling, and then I get to watch the replay of whatever fantastic or disappointing play that just took place. I did just say that I'm not a big football fan, but there's something about those players diving in, headfirst, doing whatever it takes to complete a play (or stop it) that fascinates me. This is what separates the professionals from the amateurs, this diving in without a care. I admire this and I believe that the same can be said for writing. How do I take my writing to that professional level? How do I dive in, headfirst, without a care as to what anyone else thinks, only that I do whatever it takes to get the job done, the job that is true to my soul? This is not an easy question to answer. When football players go all-in, we can visibly see the magic. When writers go all-in, there's a response from the reader's soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment